Don’t I sound so fancy? Don’t you immediately think that I attend garden parties and own a home in the Hamptons? Is your pinky finger lifting into the air uncontrollably? It’s okay. Let it happen.
I need to be honest. Galette sounds fancy, but it’s actually just lazy pie. Pie is great, but it can be a high-maintenance little brat sometimes. I almost always end up ripping the dough & crying on my kitchen floor. I get a little unhinged when it comes to pie crust.
This recipe is deceivingly easy & cheap. Next time you’re asked to bring a dessert somewhere, make this. It will assert your fancypants dominance over your friends.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar + 3 tbsp for later
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water (not the ice, just the cold water)
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine flour, salt, and 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl.
- Drop cold cubed butter into the bowl. Using a fork, pastry cutter, or even your hands, break up the butter into the flour. Keep breaking it into the dry flour until it resembles peas. You can do this in a food processor as well.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl. Pour in ice water. Using your hands, turn the flour into the water. Keep working the dough until just combined, and there are no crumbs left. If it’s crumbly, add small amounts of ice water.
- The dough should be slightly sticky with small clumps of butter showing throughout. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hours.
- While dough chills, combine sliced strawberries with 3 tbsp sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Put it in the fridge as well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once dough has chilled, roll it out in the shape of a disc. It should be somewhat thin, but still sturdy. Do this on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. DO NOT roll out on the counter. You will regret everything.
- Take your strawberry mixture, and spoon it into the center of the dough disc. Leave about an inch around the edges.
- Fold the edges over the strawberry mixture in a circle. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with more sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes & serve.