If we haven’t already established that I’m a cranky old lady at heart, this recipe sure will. I know pound cakes aren’t the cutest. Not the trendiest. Have you ever seen a millennial eat pound cake? Absolutely not. Maybe if I put some avocado on it?
I think we need to bring back pound cake, and here’s why. It’s the perfect vehicle for a classy dessert. Strawberries. Whipped cream. Ice cream. Nutella. Lemon curd. Peaches. I turned it into strawberry shortcake & and my husband proceeded to worship the ground I walk on. *adjusts crown* It’s classic, easy, and a lil boujee.
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp orange/lemon zest
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray/butter an 8×4 inch loaf pan. You could also be fancy and make this in a bundt pan.
- Zest your citrus. If you don’t have a zester, you can cut the peel off the fruit and chop it finely. Just avoid the pith (the white part).
- Use the paddle attachment of your stand mixer. Beat the softened butter and sugar together for a few minutes on high.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, milk, and citrus zest.
- Combine the flour, baking powder & salt in a small bowl. Slowly incorporate that mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Embrace the old lady that you have become.